Goals and Strategies
Goal 1: To retain students in STEM pathways and increase the diversity of student populations in STEM and the STEM workforce
- Strategy 1: Collect and compile STEM data to support retention practices
- Strategy 2: Facilitate and support cross-disciplinary and cross-institutional collaborations (ex: Collaborations among Hispanic-Serving Institutions)
- Strategy 3: Incubate and support innovative and promising initiatives (ex: Growing undergraduate research experiences; ASEMS; Social Catalyst, TRIO)
Goal 2: To promote and disseminate best practices that increase the diversity of preK-20 students engaging in STEM and the STEM workforce
- Strategy 1: Provide broader-impacts consultations and design assistance to researchers during the proposal-writing process on education, outreach, and evaluation plans, including facilitating productive collaborations
- Strategy 2: Host events and release materials on best practices
Goal 3: To stimulate and cultivate an inclusive STEM learning environment
- Strategy 1: Provide professional development on inclusive mentoring practices
- Strategy 2: Offer training for industry and community partners on inclusive practices when working with underrepresented and underserved students
We are currently achieving these goals by:
- Developing and incubating innovative, STEM recruitment and retention programs by utilizing partnerships across the institution, the community, and industry.
- Facilitating collaborations to generate research on best practices that broaden participation of underrepresented populations in STEM.
- Providing consultations and workshops to STEM and education researchers to design and connect education, outreach, and evaluation plans.
- Designing workshops on inclusive mentoring practices for students, faculty, and community partners.